Saturday, May 28, 2022

I Can Not Help But Weep

 

I cannot help but weep

For those shattered

By the grief of their own

Destiny or karma

 

I embrace our terror

The stark hardship

Of aliveness

Which is all of us

Bountiful at times

 

Always sorrowful

With the forecast

Of coming and going

 

One day it’s starving manatees

Ancient Gentle creatures

Rooting in the sea grasses

Gorged with plastic

 

People of Yemen, Afganistan, Syria, Iran, iraq

Once the cradle of civilization

Now subdued by Tribal hatreds

 

I can not help but weep for the piles

Of violins and braids at Auschwich

Nameless remains of those incinerated --the

Horror of a final solution

 

Nor for dark War loads

Of America unleashing

Firebombs laced

With agent orange

Insidious masters

Of regime change

 

It’s always been so

Somewhere

Like yesterday’s numbing

Murders of children

 

I embrace you not for Grace

But the love of other

That melts the hatred

Of difference

Indifference

 

Come my dear ones

Let’s embrace the abject forlornness

Of our humanity, never letting go

Never giving up instead

Rest in what endures

Beyond the loneliness

Of all those places we fear to travel.

 

Language leaves me now

But cells remember locked

Festering at our humanity

Until we release our lack love

 

May 22-25 2022

 

Writ heart heavy at twilight

as storn clouds gather

Into the coming night on my porch

Amid pansies and chimes