Thursday, October 14, 2021

America

This is one of my exercises I call COPYCAT poems - In this case, a rewrite of "America" inspired by Allen Ginsberg's original 1956 "America," but in my own syntax. 


Give me your tired, your poor, 
your huddled masses 
yearning to breathe free
the wretched refuse of your teeming shore
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

America who are you? 
I thought I knew you. 
Fools gold 
America where are you going? 

America you were never all that great
the stain of slavery your karmic legacy
broken treaties your heartbreak

Who will pick your strawberries  
clean your toilets now
when you build that wall

America this is not a "reality" show
delusions of fat cats who lack empathy
America "You're Fired"

I fear there's no going back
America I deplore your greed
and need to own it all, the refuse of stuff
to make a  buck  

America can we fix this?

Written during the reign of Donald Trump 2017-2021